Friday, November 18, 2011

[Diary] Starting a Vintage Community from Scratch

Heya,

I have some really exciting news. Well, mostly exciting for myself, but perhaps exciting for you too. A brand new Magic shop has opened up in the po-dunk little town where I live in Kentucky. It is literally a four minute drive from my house. The player base is young, new, eager to learn, and most importantly, lacking large collections of Magic cards. In other words, they have no real loyalty to any particular format outside of Limited at the moment.

I’m going to turn this blog into a diary of sorts cataloging my attempts to create a Vintage community from scratch. So far as I know, not a single person at the store plays Vintage, so I’ll definitely have my work cut out for me. I’m still putting together a plan, but here are the basics of what I want to do:

-First, develop a strong rapport with the shop owner, manager, and general player base.

-Second, create at least 8 to 10 proxy decks that are made using very high quality proxies and leave them at the store for people to play with.

-Third, show up on FNM nights toward the end of the tournament to snag players who’ve dropped to play Commander, Cube, and eventually, Vintage.

-Fourth, organize a monthly “Vintage Night” with a small entrance fee. I’ll provide all the decks if necessary and perhaps even a prize in addition to the fees.

-Fifth, see if this event can eventually run without me being there.

I’ll keep you updated on how this goes. Hopefully, in a year or two, there will be a small but thriving Vintage community in central Kentucky.

Peace,

-Troy

No comments:

Post a Comment