Monday, November 28, 2011

[Diary] Vintage from Scratch Update #2

Heya,

I’m getting ready to start building some proxy decks to introduce people at my new FLGS to Vintage for the first time. I’m looking for some feedback on what decks would be good to A) teach how Vintage works and B) not be so scary that it turns people off. I think Dredge is out. It’s not intuitive at all. I also think I want to keep budget-minded decks like Dark Times and Christmas Beatings out too. As much as I love those two decks, they aren’t representative of Vintage. I also don’t think I’ll use the Doomsday Deck. It’s not that the Doomsday Piles are too complicated, it’s the fact that there are two very different lines of play in that deck, and I think it could be confusing for newbies. So here’s my preliminary list, can you help me narrow it down to 2?

-Turbo Tez

-MUD (mono-brown)

-Cat Stax (with Magus and Red Blasts)

-Noble Fish

-Snapcaster Control

-Bob Gush

-Elephant Oath

I’d like a good dueling set, so let me know what you think. I appreciate any and all input! :)

Peace,

-Troy

4 comments:

  1. Mono brown because it is easy to grok from playing it with no Vintage experience. It's pretty linear - you don't have to know the entire decklist and there's no tutoring. You draw some cards, make spells cost too much for your opponent to cast, and bash.
    And Snapcaster control because it shows off the raw power of Vintage that you want to showcase, and how important utilizing and re-using all your resources is.
    Two decks from different ends of the spectrum seems like a good place to start.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only 2 decks? Then I'd say 1 MUD and 1 snapcaster drain deck it's a pretty couple of top decks now. Though, I prefer 1 noble fish and 1 tezzeret: they are well balanced decks in my opinion, not too difficult to play and quite fun. MUD or dredge are not really fun, oath is too depending on opponent deck, combo decks tend to be hard, and beatz are not really Vintage flavoured decks.

    So, Tezzeret and Noble Fish for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kind of a belated response and I'm assuming you've already gone through with your experiment. But if you ever try it again, I think Noble Fish or even GW Beats is a deck I'd consider strongly. I think once people realize unassuming Null Rod decks can compete with fully powered monsters, it makes Vintage a lot less scary.

    Also, budget deck suggestion: Easter Egg Tendrils, for introducing vintage newcomers to Yawgwill without putting the fear of God into them.

    ReplyDelete